Sorry for the delay with updates, things have just been totally hectic!!
So, later on Monday the fire flared back up and started jumping back and forth over the highway headed in our direction. Once it got over the ridges and started heading toward the flats, the locals all got together and cut some massive firebreaks with their own mining equipment around homesteads above the highway and at the gravel pit before the residential area under the highway. Since our trail was in such bad/muddy shape and we'd have to travel into the fire to get to the highway if it did get to us, we decided to take the valuables and pets into Manley and set up temporary camp in Paul & Penny's travel trailer, then went back out to help the clearing efforts.
The Fire Service finally got on the ball Monday afternoon when we got upgraded to Type 3 and it went to Federal jurisdiction. They started dousing the firebreak with water and retardant and lit a back burn on the other side. Between that, cool temps overnight, the wind shifting back toward the NE, and some rain today, the fire turned back on itself and appears to have burned itself out.
There are still a few spot fires here and there, including a back burn they got a little over zealous with (gov't assistance = more harm than good sometimes!); but we should know tomorrow whether it's really out and safe for us to return home. On a positive note, no one lost any structures, and only one property got totally burned to the ground (around the house, which was ok)... and none of our lumber went up in flames (at least not yet -- knock wood).
The trail is a complete mess, and likely to be even worse with the water dumps and the rain; but we'll manage to deal with that... at least we still have a home to go to and lumber to build the new one :)
We are sooooo exhausted. Feels like we could sleep for a week :)